Varieties I've collected for my landraces: Part 1 Common Warm season legumes

If you do not know what landrace gardening is, then go to this website Joseph Lofthouse, Author of Landrace Gardening. Joseph Lofthouse is the originator of this current movement, and how I found out about Landrace gardening, which was through a YouTube video. I kinda wish I remembered which one, but I highly recommend going to Joseph's website and then to the YouTube channel. 

This post will cover all of the legumes I have collected to make my Landraces. I highly recommend starting with Legumes for a few reasons: you can get tons for cheap, and they are easy to collect varieties for because you pick them based on what the seeds look like.

When I refer to a variety as "bulk," it means I have over a pound of that variety.

Runner beans (Phaseolus coccineus): I think I have a very good collection of runner beans. The first 3 images are from seed packets, and the rest are 1-2 pound bags, 1 bag is grown in America, and the rest are all grown in Mexico, which is the center for biodiversity for runner beans.

From left to right the varieties are 1:bulk scarlet runner, 2: painted lady, 3:sunset, 4: A Grano Bicolore, 5: bulk Royal Corona, 6: bulk Ayocote Morado, 7: bulk Ayocote Negro, 8: bulk Ayocote Pinto



Tepary beans (Phaseolus acutifolius): I would say tepary beans are probably a really good fit for my climate, so I think I have enough; the first three are packets, and 3, 2 pound bags. I'm also happy with the varieties because I got them from the center of biodiversity, the Sonoran desert.

From left to right the varieties are 1: Blue Speckled, 2: Ali Chuckson, 3: Pinacate, 4: Bulk S-Totoah Bavi, 5: Bulk S-Chuuk Bavi, 6: Bulk S-oam Bavi



Common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris): The first 9 are 1-2 pound bags, Mexico is a center of diversity of beans and America is close enough, also some of the varieties I have have come directly from Mexico. I also have a good number of dry climate-adapted varieties.

From left to right the varieties are 1: Bulk Tuscan Red, 2: Bulk Rio Zape, 3: Bulk Vaquero, 4: Bulk Borlotti Lamon, 5: Bulk Chantino Black, 6: Bulk Domingo Rojo, 7: Bulk Four Corners Gold, 8: Bulk Moro, 9: Turkey Craw, 10: Bulk Anasazi, 11: Pintito, 12: Bulk Colorado River, 13: Baja Azufrados, 14: Jacobs Cattle, 15: Keharika


Lima Bean (Phaseolus lunatus):  the first 4 varieties are seed packs, and the last one is a pound bag. Only one variety adapted to drier conditions, and I'm not really happy with the amount of seed I have; at least my 1 pound bag is of a variety from one of the centers of biodiversity Peru.

From left to right the varieties are 1: Willow-Leaf Colored, 2: Alabama Black eye, 3: Snow on the Moutain, 4: Hawol, 5: Bulk Chrismas

Black eye peas (Vigna unguiculata): all packets, no bags, good dry climate varites, and this species seems would be a good fit for my climate.

From left to right the varieties are 1: Mayo Speckled, 2: Papago, 3: Lofthouse landrace, 4: Dolique Rouge du Burkina Faso, 5: Florida Conch, 6: Pinkeye Purple hull

Soybeans (Glycine max): all 3 are from packets, and they aren't as dry condition adapted as I would like; I also don't have as many seeds as I would want though soybeans are probably a low priority for me.

From left to right the varieties are 1: Ukrainian Landrace, 2: North Koren Landrace, 3: Uzbek landrace

Peanuts (Arachis hypogaea): both are seed packets, and they aren't from as dry climates as I would want, I would like a larger amount of seeds just in case anything goes wrong.

From left to right the varieties are 1: Uruguayen Landrace, 2: Zambian Landrace





Comments